The South African National Taxi Council (SANTACO) says it will not support any of its members who are using their taxis to loot shops in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

Reports indicate that in some areas taxis were seen carrying goods that were stolen during looting incidents.

SANTACO Chief Strategic Manager, Bafana Magagula, says it is unlawful for any of their taxis to be part of criminal activities.

“We will apply disciplinary measures if the driver is found guilty, we will dismiss that driver. Once we have all the evidence, number plates of those vehicles that appeared on the screens. Once we confirm that it was not false information – there is no way we will not take action,” he says.

Residents protect Mahikeng in the North West against looting:

Support for rule of law

The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) has strongly condemned the looting of businesses and destruction of property in the country.

The union says the current lawlessness in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal is deeply worrying, as it will lead to many workers losing their jobs.

“In the aftermath of this tragedy or situation, many workers will lose their jobs. Many families will be left with no means of earning a living as many shops, factories, trucks are completely burned and destroyed. The looting of these businesses is the destruction of working class families earning and sustainability. As the NUM, we support the Constitution and the rule of law,” says the union’s national spokesperson, Livhuwani Mammburu.

The unrest in South Africa began last week Friday following the jailing of former president Jacob Zuma.

In KwaZulu-Natal alone, damage due to it is estimated to be at R1 billion.

Government is investigating allegations that some members of the governing ANC and former intelligence agents are behind the riots.

This transpired during a briefing by South Africa’s security cluster on Tuesday.

 

for more info on the news, visit SABCNEWS

SHARE THIS