SOUTH AFRICAN POLICE SERVICES (SAPS) ARRESTED 870 SUSPECTS DURING OPERATION O KAE MOLAO IN GAUTENG ON THURSDAY 4 FEBRUARY.
While various District Commissioners led operations in their respective districts, the police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubele says that, “The Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Elias Mawela joined the District Commissioner of Ekurhuleni, Major General Vincent Leshabane and together with senior management from the SAPS, Gauteng Traffic Police, Ekurhuleni Metro Police Department, the Provincial Community Police Forum EXCO, vehicle tracking company Tracker and private security, took to the streets of Benoni.”
Captain Makhubele reports that in Benoni, “by close of business yesterday, four suspects had been arrested for illegal mining during a raid at what appeared to be a mining village where police found equipment used during the commission of illegal mining, explosives which police believe are of the same calibre as those used in Cash In Transit robberies and ATM Bombings, and liquor that was abandoned by alleged illegal miners who evaded arrest and ran up the nearby mine dumps.”
“Meanwhile at the roadblocks, nine motor vehicles were impounded for further investigation while more than twenty undocumented foreign nationals were arrested,” says Makhubele.
He continues saying that more than 600 wanted suspects were picked up in the other 4 districts “for various serious and violent crimes, sixty-six of these suspects were arrested in Sedibeng and West Rand Districts.”
Tshwane police were also busy as they apprehended a number of motorists who were found with unlawful cigarettes and more than 231 suspects for various unnamed crimes.
Ekurhuleni and Johannesburg Districts had more than 400 suspects placed on arrest.
“The arrested suspects will appear in various Magistrate Courts soon,” says Captain Makhubele