Legal affairs / Page 2

SHEBE MABURNA DENIED BAIL

Written by on 30 April 2026

POLOKWANE- Lekompo musician Lehlogonolo Chauke, popularly known as Shebe Maburna, has been denied bail by the Polokwane Magistrate’s Court. Chauke has been in custody since November 2025 and recently submitted a new bail application, arguing that there were new facts to consider after his initial request was rejected. His lawyer, Michael Khumalo, told the court […]

Read More

MUGABE’S SON FINED R600,000 OR FACES JAIL TERM

Written by on 29 April 2026

JOHANNESBURG- Bellarmine Mugabe, son of former Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe, has been fined R600,000 or sentenced to two years in prison after being found guilty of violating firearms and immigration laws in South Africa. He appeared at the Alexandra Magistrate’s Court alongside his cousin, Tobias Matonhodze, where both pleaded guilty to multiple charges linked to […]

Read More

MOGOTSI SEEKS RECUSAL OF CHASKALSON

Written by on 28 April 2026

JOHANNESBURG- Brown Mogotsi has asked for the recusal of Advocate Matthew Chaskalson SC, the evidence leader at the Madlanga Commission, and has formally lodged a complaint against him. Commission chairperson Mbuyiseli Madlanga has directed Mogotsi’s legal team to submit the recusal application by close of business on Wednesday, setting in motion a tight procedural timeline […]

Read More

SHEBE MABURNA BAIL RULING SET FOR THURSDAY

Written by on 28 April 2026

The Polokwane Magistrate’s Court has postponed a ruling on musician Lehlogonolo Chauke’s third bail application to Thursday. The state is opposing his release, while the magistrate, Godfrey Netshiozwi, delayed the decision to allow time to prepare judgment after hearing arguments from both sides. Chauke, who faces charges including attempted murder and possession of an unlicensed […]

Read More

MINISTER KUBAYI CALLS FOR STRONGER GENDER EQUALITY IN JUSTICE SYSTEMS

Written by on 22 April 2026

South Africa’s Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development, Mmamoloko Kubayi, addressed a continental gathering of women judicial leaders, highlighting the importance of advancing gender-responsive jurisprudence and inclusive justice systems. She linked the meeting to key milestones, including the 20th anniversary of the Maputo Protocol, 30 years of South Africa’s Constitution, and the legacy of the […]

Read More

KUBAYI ENGAGES LEGAL SECTOR

Written by on 19 April 2026

Justice Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi, alongside Deputy Minister Andries Nel, will host a stakeholder engagement with legal practitioners on 20 April 2026. The meeting forms part of ongoing efforts to strengthen collaboration and drive transformation within the legal sector, with a focus on empowering previously disadvantaged professionals. The Department of Justice and Constitutional Development says the […]

Read More

NPA CONDEMNS THREATS IN MALEMA CASE

Written by on 17 April 2026

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has strongly condemned threats made on social media against State prosecutor Advocate Joel Cesar, who was involved in the Julius Malema firearm case. The NPA raised concern over posts circulating on platform X, allegedly linked to the Economic Freedom Fighters, which contain serious threats against Cesar, warning that such actions […]

Read More

EX-MALEMA BODYGUARD SUES STATE OVER PROSECUTION

Written by on 15 April 2026

Adriaan Snyman, the former bodyguard of Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema, is suing the state for R20 million in damages. The claim relates to criminal charges he previously faced in connection with a 2018 firearm-related case in which he was a co-accused alongside Malema. Snyman was charged with failing to take reasonable precautions […]

Read More

BUSINESSMAN SULIMAN CARRIM HOSPITALISED

Written by on 13 April 2026

A fleet of vehicles belonging to Fusion Tactical, linked to businessman Suliman Carrim, was seen arriving at Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg, where he has been admitted. Reports indicate that Carrim allegedly suffered a heart attack earlier today while at a gym in Sandton. Carrim is expected to continue with his testimony before the Madlanga Commission […]

Read More

NPA TO PROSECUTE ESIDIMENI CASE FIGURES

Written by on 13 April 2026

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has announced that it has enough evidence to pursue criminal charges in the Life Esidimeni tragedy, where at least 141 psychiatric patients died after being unlawfully moved from care facilities between 2015 and 2016. The charges are expected to include culpable homicide against those found responsible for the negligent actions […]

Read More

Load more